Substance Designer is the Ultimate 3D Material Authoring and Scan Processing Tool. It has become the standard in the entertainment industry for PBR material authoring.
What’s new in Substance Designer 2017.2?
Take a look at the new patterns, filters and noises that will fill your Substance Designer toolbox with new creative possibilities:
- Flood Fills – A long-awaited feature is finally here! Use a black or white mask to generate height maps and assign random colors to each white zone with a variation of height.
- Shape Mapper – A new way to build stunning patterns! Duplicate and map a pattern on a shape while defining the number of repetitions and shape
- Swirl Node – You can now easily deform your input with direct control in the 2D viewport
- Histogram Select – Isolating a height range from a height map is now easier than ever with this new node!
- Vector Morph – The vector morph lets you deform your input according to a normal map
- Cube 3D Node – This new node opens the door to a new dimension in creativity – the third dimension, actually. Let’s see what you can do with it!
- Arc Pavement Node – As a French company, we have to make sure we give you an easy way to reproduce Parisian arc pavements! Thankfully, this is exactly what this node is made for
We also updated a few generators while we were at it:
- Splatter Circular Generator – This famous node just got a fresh update, and we are pretty confident you will love the new possibilities.
- Scratches Generator – We all know how scratches are important (as long as they are not on your smartphone screen!) Therefore, we overhauled the the previous generator to offer more natural and tweakable scratches. When used with a pathtracer or raytracer, the generated normal map will produce the circular highlights we commonly observe in the real world.
With the release of Substance Designer 2017.2, support for non-square formats is standard, with all noises and patterns now containing a non-square expansion option.
Scale Parameter for Noises
More good news: your noises now scale!
HELPFUL UX TWEAKS
Other improvements make working in Substance Designer easier:
- Graph Snapshot – Take a picture of your graph by clicking the Photo icon in the graph toolbar.
- 3D View default state – Save the 3D view settings, including the geometry, environment map and shader technique as default so that it appears exactly as before.
- Default state file – You can now specify a default state file in your project preferences to make parameters uniform across a multi-user team project.
- Baker window improvements – Baking settings can now be exported as presets (as a .json file) and imported back. Combined with the Substance Automation Toolkit, the same .json file can then be used to launch multiple bakes with a single command.
AUTHOR AXF MATERIALS
With this update, Substance Designer delivers on its promise to support the AxF format. This makes it the first and only tool for material authoring in AxF. We announced this development at Substance Days this year and presented a joint conference with X-Rite at SIGGRAPH.