V-Ray is today one of highest render quality tools available for production. It is widely used by professional CG artists and visualizations firms worldwide. Its proven, beautiful and super realistic image quality, at unsurpassed render speed, attracts many users from all areas. VRAYforC4D is the Cinema4D native incarnation of this great engine. It enables you to use V-Ray directly within Cinema4D using the typical C4D like workflow. V-Ray is the de-facto standard in architecture & design visualization, car rendering, TV commercials, and many more areas, like in recent Hollywood Movies like 3D Blockbuster AVATAR. Its good, its fast, its stable!
In version 1.8 almost all parts have been rewritten using the vrscene system, which enables not only the many new features in 1.8 ,but are also needed for adding the forthcoming V-Ray 3.0 core and V-Ray RT. the vrscene system is also the base of all other modern V-Ray versions, like V-Ray Maya or V-Ray RT.
Updates and Features in v1.8
– new refreshed code base, almost all aspects of the version 1.8 are completely rewritten
– V-Ray vrscene system (same as Maya, Xsi, etc)
the version 1.8 is the first version on c4d based on the now available V-Ray native “.vrscene” system. it is the same used for other V-Ray versions, and enables totally new ways of compatibility between the available V-Ray versions and make V-Ray features and development possible, that was not doable before within c4d. in addition as very important aspect it makes update work and incorporating new V-Ray tools & shaders a lot easier, more straight forward and faster for development.
– DR/Distributed Rendering:
distributed rendering is a feature of the vrscene /V-Ray Standalone application to render the render buckets directly on all computers of the network, it is specially good for rendering big still images, but V-Ray DR can render also previews, even in editor or interactive region window. an image rendering many hours can be therefore rendered in only a few minutes on a DR farm. Previews in editor can be made in seconds instead of many minutes. one license enables to use unlimited CPU’s on up to 10 DR nodes per license, on modern systems that can be as much as 160 or more cores on one single image/frame (it is also possible to add more standalone nodes).
this is the same DR system also available in V-Ray Maya or XSI, the same DR farms can be used(Only make sure to have identical version builds). In addition the C4D development team also worked on a version using the c4d Netrender/cmd line application which enables the use of many of the native c4d shaders *), together with the otherwise used new native V-Ray shaders.
– DR Camera Animation:
the V-Ray DR also supports the special V-Ray camera animation mode (multiframe incremental), this can greatly speed up the calculation for whole animations and makes this work flow extremely simple to use,also among more than one computer.
– DR Object animation:
the V-Ray DR now also supports the object animation methods,cached and non cached /driest render GI,also thsi is a great work flow and speedup helper, if you have more than one computer available.
– 10 FREE DR nodes of V-Ray Standalone for each license. this was not so easy to get, but we manage to do that. so with one V-ray license you will be able to render stills and animations via DR on up to 11 Computers at no additional cost. sepcialkeys are available if you own more than one licenses. also there are special possibilities to upgrade the standalone to a higher DR count, or to get full Standalone packages.
– new full motion blur in C4D:
C4d has no motion blur sdk interface at all to use, and some important sdk parts aren’t accessible et to 3rd party engines, adding real motion blur support, including the important subframes (otherwise it would be polygonal and not smooth) is very hard in cinema 4d and only possible due some “tricks”. after longer development time V-RAYforC4D is now the very first 3rd party render plugin on C4D supporting full motion blur in all aspects – including subframes, (using the similar tricks to achieve that as the internal “physical renderer”). it supports geometry deformations, point level animation, instances, mograph, proxies, particles, rotation, camera and object animation, and subframes including per object subframe control (!), which is not available in the internal p. render.
-new & expanded (vrscene sdk) based multi pass system:
the multi pass system has been rewritten also from scratch, it enables a lot more new channels, special layers, ids masks, “extra tex” layers and more. it enables a professional multi pass system identical to the famous V-Ray Maya multi pass*), used in the movie Avatar, which was used in many feature films and productions already. all aspects are now of course with full control, including filtering and full AA options. due the vrscene system any future channels added to the vray sdk can be also quite easy added into c4d.
– new multi pass interface:
the developer team worked on a new type of interface that allows dynamically drag and drop, add, remove or and renaming of layers (also hierarchical, aka “tree” like), the new multi pass system is the first to use this new interface and code structure. forthcoming version can use this hierarchical and very flexible (node) system also for things like materials
– .vrscene file format export: via the DR interface it is possible to export V-ray native setup scenes to the V-Ray native vrscene format. the output is compatible and identical to the other V-Ray versions, and can be used in mixed environments or farms. (animation and or DR, commercial render farms)
– V-Ray standalone support: via the .vrscene file format any V-Ray native scene, from c4d or any other V-Ray version can be rendered on a V-Ray standalone application (including RT mode, or DR, or DR via RT or render farm systems or render manager using V-Ray Standalone). For DR 10 Standalone licenses are free included. For full standalone extra packages are available from us, or existing packages can be used.
– V-Ray standalone RT usage supported. if you own one or more full standalone licenses, you can use the c4d file output with the V-Ray RT mode in Standalone.the c4d vrscene output enables already RT usage via that method. Note that at least one full Standalone license is needed for that. Also other features of the full V-Ray standalone, like cmd line texture baking,animation rendering, use with 3rd party render farm managers etc is supported. You can email us in case, we will support you in finding the most efficient possibilities to get that.
– new very latest V-Ray core 2.40 (same as in latest Maya and Max V-Ray):
the V-RAYforC4D 1.8 version incorporates the very latest Vray core used in the recent Vray Max or Maya version (SP 2.4), so all code adjustments, speed improvements in sampling, GI, etc are also in V-RAYforC4D. the output is compatible also with the latest available V-Ray Standalone versions.
– New interface to load and use native V-Ray shaders within c4d (anywhere):
any V-Ray shaders in the V-Ray sdk can now be loaded and used within C4d, also new future V-ray shaders will more or less automatic load or can at least be added easy, even 3rd party shaders if conform with the V-Ray sdk shader format. This opens a whole new world. V-Ray shaders can be nested one into each other, so where one normally in c4d has a colour input only, V-ray shaders can load another shader or bitmap. this allows for very complex set-ups. some V-Ray shaders are very high end. they can be used in any slot of the c4d V-Ray brdf materials, and they are used for V-ray native work flows or if planned to export as vrscene file for use with V-Ray Standalone or in combination with other V-Ray versions. as Chaosgroup recoded many of the shaders from Maya or and Max or even Xsi within the V-Ray sdk, all these shaders are now available within C4d too.
– reflection and refraction interpolation feature within the BRDF material (point based): this can greatly speed up rendering in intelligent under-sampling blurry reflections. it is in addition to the other reflection interpolation in the LC GI tab via GI rays, or for secondary GI rays. it has controls similar to the Irradiance map in GI or SSS2 settings.
– V-Ray car paint material:
the famous V-Ray car paint material is now incorporated into C4D, it enables to easy add any multilayer realistic car paint including detailed flakes control in a few clicks. as with any other multilayer reflection sampling in V-Ray it doesn’t sum up in render time if more than one layer is used.
– V-Ray flakes layer:
the V-Ray layered BRDF material in C4D has become and extra channel layer above reflection, to add flake effects to any material.it can be used to built custom car paints via te BDRF or any other special effects like snow or other glittering effects.
– V-Ray Procedural Hair (proxy like):
the latest vray sdks offer a very advanced render method for real 3d hair without using actual generated geometry. it uses a similar interface as the proxy 2 feature. this new system is now available within c4d via V-Ray. it renders the hair fibres at full quality, just as any real object, it is seen in reflections, refractions, dof, blur and behind alphas just as any polygons, only needing a lot less ram, and if used in large amounts quite faster. it can be animated, it mapped and textured.
-V-Ray Fast Fur 2 (updated):
the free included extra tool Fast Fur is now capable of using the new procedural V-Ray hair features, and sample base textures, as well as separate root tip colour controls. some features also have been expanded. it enables also users of smaller c4d versions to produce great hair, grass, fur or fibres.
– Support for MAXON hair and V-Ray procedural hair:
MAXON hair now supports the new full procedural V-Ray hair rendering. it enables C4D users to render MAXON hair in unseen quality – fully physical calculated,but without the need to use a geometry mode or to generate geometry in advance. this also saves huge amounts of ram and render time. the MAXON hair controls are on the fly connected to the V-Ray hair interface. it supports now sampling colors of the hair from their base objects textures or shaders, and also detailed root tip control. the MAXON hair material shape and density controls are also supported. it can be animated in all ways too.
– MAXON fur and feather support (!):
V-Ray even can now render the special fur and feature tools from MAXON studio bundle. also done via the new procedural V-Ray hair.
– New Vray physical BRDF Hair material:
in the very last V-Ray Max & Maya versions a new physical BDRF hair material has been introduced, this is now also available in the C4D version. despite being a real physical hair calculation of hair translucency7scattering and back side speculars, it renders very fast and makes the beautiful shading and gloss of hair possible, like we see it in reality.
– Rounded edge feature:
all V-Ray BRDF materials have now the so called “rounded edge” feature, which can be easy activated in one click. it can be used to add a small bevel or rounding too sharp modelled edges. in reality nothing has totally sharp edges. modelling every object with rounded edges costs a lot of time and makes models unneeded huge in ram and disk size. the round edge feature can add great realism to your scene in rounding any objects in just one clicks, is is on per material base,so one setting can bevel many objects at once very easy.
– Highly optimized proxy export and reparation time. scenes with many proxy objects tend to export many times faster now. in our tests scenes which exported and prepared in older versions for 45sec-1min, start render now in only 5 seconds.
– Render speed up and ram reduction of proxy rendering:
the render speed had been further optimised, and the ram consumption of proxy2 instances greatly reduced.
– V-Ray spline rendering:a new tool to direct render splines in V-Ray has been added.it renders splines with controllable thickness in a procedural way using only very low memory for it.
– V-Ray particles: a new interface has been added to the new V_Ray particle feature. it enables particle rendering in a more easy and ram efficient way, and connections to other special particle renders/plugins (like the planned X-particle support*)
– New geometry based SSS2 mode: enables a different, more precise sampling option, useful for special detailed SSS needs using the fast SSS2 material or channel
– New SSS2 caching. calculated SSS can now be cached and reused , even for animations.(saved to external files)
-greatly speed up material previews:
the preview system has been new rewritten and optimised, c4d previews and V-Ray previews can be used now, both greatly speed up in reaction, even with with complex glossy reflections
– New option to set subdivision extra for material preview:this is very useful for using work flows with high material subdivisions, it enables still very fast feedback in the material previews
– enhancement in full 32 bit LWF workflow:
the editor can now be separate set in this option,to enables correct 8 bit preview in editor and simultaneous 32 bit rendering in picture viewer
– Multiple UV support
– Stick texture tag support
– Light Include/exclude of hierarchies, also excludes shadows correctly now as many user wished.
– work flow: using the same material on more than one selection tag with different mapping types, doesnt have the need to use a copy of the original material any more.
– V-Ray Physical Sun, extra RGB Filter color added, as in latest 3dmax Vray (in addition to your color correction feature for the Vray Physical Sky)
– first OGL Alpha, stacked materials and Transparency in v14, v15 c4d, this is a first implementations,
sadly OGL is quite undocumented (sadly due the missing capability needed for that in older c4d sdks, it can be only on v14 and newer,also some osx13 gfx cards will support it)
– support for basic c4d materials (color, reflection,refraction, alpha etc),this is very useful for using object libraries or fast tests, of curse for real high level render use the V-Ray BDRF materials.
-support for newest C4d versions (works in future v15 update already)